Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Using Tags as a Refiner

In my recent talk “Rock your SharePoint Online Search With 13 Easy Tune-Ups”, which I presented at SharePoint Saturday in Stockholm and will present again at the European SharePoint Conference in Barcelona, I talked about removing unwanted/unused refiners.

On that note I got contacted by Paul Hunt, who wondered about the Tags refiner which was out of the box in SharePoint 2010, but is not in 2013. In my opinion this refiner is seldom used. This could because it appears “below the fold” or under the screen you initially see, or that people don’t have a concept of tagging.

Either way, Paul has customers who found it very useful and who are used to tagging. The good news is that it’s very easy to add it back.

If you edit your search result page, then edit the Refinement Web Part, click Choose Refiners, add Tags to your list of refiners, and you should be all set.

image